Winter Driving Tip: Transporting your Christmas tree
Going down to the Christmas tree lot to choose a tree is a tradition that many families do each year. It’s a great family outing and the perfect way to kick off the holiday season.
Transporting your Christmas tree home can be dangerous if not done correctly and drivers should note that this year police will be on the lookout for trees that are not secured to vehicles in a safe manner.
Why is transporting your tree potentially dangerous?
There is a lot that can happen when driving with a tree strapped to your car:
- It can impede your vision, shift while you are driving or make it more difficult for you to steer
- It could be a distraction for other drivers
- It could fall off your car if not secured properly
- You could do damage to the roof of your car
Tips for securing your Christmas tree
Here are some common sense tips for transporting your Christmas tree is a safe way:
- If you have a small car, consider calling a friend with a pick up or SUV to assist
- If transporting the tree on the roof of your car, make sure that it is positioned with the tree base facing the front of the vehicle. Fasten straps around the middle, base, and tip of the tree.
- Consider netting the tree before securing it to your vehicle
- Ask for help if you are not sure how to secure your tree
You could also consider having your tree delivered if you are not confident that you will be able to get your tree home safe.
Do you get a natural Christmas tree? How do you transport it home? What tips can you offer to other drivers?