When’s the last time you checked your smoke alarm?
When was the last time that you checked your smoke alarms in your home? If you can’t think of the answer, then now is the perfect time to test them out – But, make sure that you tell your family members that you are testing them before you set the alarm off! You don’t want to startle anyone.
It only takes a couple minutes to check your fire alarms. Here is what you do:
- Press the test button on the alarm – It is a good idea to have a family member move around the house to make sure they can clearly hear the fire alarm from anywhere in the house.
- Check the batteries or plug to make sure they are connected properly.
- Check the batteries to see if they need to be replaced – It’s a good idea to change the batteries annually.
- Clean the alarm by vacuuming the cover and interior to remove dust.
- Replace your smoke alarms every 5- 10 years (depends on the model you have).
- Repeat the same process every smoke alarm in your house.
To keep track of when to check your smoke alarms, it is a good idea to mark it on a calendar that you check regularly.
Don’t forget about your carbon monoxide detectors
While you are checking your smoke alarms, it is also a great time to check your carbon monoxide detectors and any other similar devices throughout your home to make sure everything is working effectively. Also, don’t forget to check the alarms in the basement and in the garage.
When is the last time you check your smoke alarm? How often do you check them?