Your time is valuable, and we have new options available. Our customers can access their policies online to make self-service changes via HUB MyAccount, or contact us via alternate methods here.

Skip navigation

What is uninsured automobile coverage?

July 3rd, 2023  |  Auto Insurance

Uninsured automobile insurance protects you if you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist or hit-and-run driver.

And while automobile insurance is mandatory in Ontario, it’s still possible you could be involved in a crash with someone who does not have insurance.

According to the Toronto Star, more than 2,000 uninsured vehicles are involved in accidents each year in Ontario, and about two per cent of the province’s drivers are actively driving without valid insurance.

Uninsured automobile coverage is mandatory and included on all active policies in Ontario. This coverage provides up to $200,000 for damage to property and injuries that otherwise would have been legally recovered from the other driver’s insurance policy. Depending on the accident, that may not be enough and that’s why its recommended you increase your limits.

Additional coverage

A Family Protection Coverage rider can provide extra protection up to $2 million. This is an optional add-on offers an extra safeguard and is usually quite affordable.

If you are the victim of a hit-and-run, the amount of protection you have will depend on what you’re claiming. If your vehicle is damaged by an unidentified driver who has fled the scene, there is no coverage for that damage under your uninsured auto coverage. You need to have collision coverage to cover the damage to your car.

What if I’m in an accident

If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, call the police to file a report. Visit your local collision reporting centre and call your insurer. Since Ontario operates under a no-fault insurance system, you will deal directly with your insurer for the claim.

Last resort

If you were injured in a car accident where no automobile insurance exists to respond to your claim, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries or property damage from Ontario’s Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund. The fund is the last resort for compensation.

You may be eligible for:

  • accident benefits if you suffered an injury
  • death and funeral benefits on behalf of someone who died
  • compensation for personal injury or property damage (except for vehicles)

Who can apply

You can apply for compensation from the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund if you:

  • live in Ontario
  • were involved in a collision in Ontario where no one had auto insurance
  • were injured or have property damage worth over $100

For example, you might be eligible for compensation if you do not have access to insurance and were injured in a car accident where you:

  • weren’t in a vehicle (for example, you were walking or cycling) and the driver of the vehicle involved was not insured
  • were a passenger in a vehicle and neither driver was insured
  • can’t identify the other vehicle in a hit-and-run accident or the vehicle was stolen


Auto insurance myths debunked - Part 1

Auto insurance myths debunked - Part 2

New to HUB Insurance Hunter?

Existing Clients Log In to