Tips for protecting yourself against door to door salespeople
As a homeowner you probably receive your fair share of people that come to your door. Many of them come to your home because they want to sell you something such as:
- Renewals for your gas contract
- Renewals for your energy or hydro contract
- Contractor services
- Landscaping and home maintenance
- Charities looking for support
While most of these individuals are acting in good faith, it is important to always be on guard because you never know when someone is trying to scam you and get your money or personal information under false pretenses.
Keep the following in mind before you agree to anything:
- Always ask for the salespersons identification and ask for a business card
- Ask questions about the company and about the salesperson
- Don’t share your personal information unless you are going to sign a contract
- Always read any contract carefully before you sign anything
- Keep in mind that not all organizations go door to door
- Never make a decision because you feel pressured
- If you are not sure, tell them that you want to think about it and ask them to follow up another time
If a salesperson comes to your door, make sure that they are legitimate before agreeing to talk with them. If something seems odd, then it probably is and you should end your interaction with them just to be on the safe side.
How often do salespeople come to your home? Have you ever had someone suspicious try to sell you something? How did you react?