Tips for Having a Successful Yard Sale
Having a yard sale is a great way to clear out the clutter in your home and make a few extra bucks in the process. But, the truth is that many people fail to have successful yard sales because they lose sight of a couple very important points – People are not going to buy useless items or things that have no value. So, if you fill your yard with junk you are not going to sell any of it.
The following are a number of important tips for having a successful yard sale:
- Put up signs well in advance – Consider posting a flyer on bulletin boards in local businesses in your area
- Considering posting a free ad on Craigslist or Kijiji – Don’t forget to highlight the key items that are for sale. You can also put an ad in the local paper
- Tell your family and friends about it
- Look at the weather forecast before confirming the yard sale date
- Hold the yard sale on a weekend
- Put a price tag on everything, but be willing to negotiate on price – remember the goal is to get rid of stuff, not hold onto it
- Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them
- Be a salesperson! To many people just sit back and wait for people to make an offer
- Merchandise your items – just like a store, set up your items in an organized way that makes sense
- Lower your prices and offer last minute deals to sell off the items you have left at the end of the day
Have you ever had a garage sale? How successful was it?