Tips for creating a winter emergency kit for your home
As a homeowner you need to be prepared for all situations, especially during the winter. You never know when the power could go out or when a major storm could hit that could leave your family vulnerable for an extended period of time. This is why it is so important to put together a winter emergency kit for your home.
What should be included in my winter emergency kit?
Here are some of the items that you should include in your kit.
- Back-up generator: This will allow you to run a space heater and other electric appliances in your home.
- Light sources: Flashlights, candles, matches, and lighters. And, don’t forget to have some batteries as well.
- Extra blankets and clothing: In most cases, you will already have these items in the house. If the power goes out, collect all the blankets together to keep everyone warm.
- Heat source: If you have a fireplace, great, but most people don’t have that luxury. Consider getting a kerosene heater or an alternative just as a precaution.
- Tools/First Aid Kit: Keeping a small tool box and a first aid kit handy is essential.
- Food and Water: Ideally, you should have at least 3 days of food and water stocked up in case of emergency.
At the very least, it is important that you have these items in your home in an accessible place. You can never be too prepared.
Are you prepared for an emergency situation? Do you have a home winter emergency kit?