Safety Tips for Putting up Christmas Decorations
It is hard to think that we are now at the time of year where we are dragging the boxes of Christmas decorations out of the basement. But, with the snow starting to fall and with Thanksgiving in the rear view mirror, it is time to start putting up the Christmas decorations. While it is a fun activity that you can do with the entire family, it can also be dangerous.
To ensure that you and your family are safe, it is important that you follow these safety tips for putting up your Christmas decorations this year:
- Have a helper: This is especially important if you will be climbing up a ladder to put up lights on the exterior of your home. Always have a spotter when using a ladder.
- Choose the right day to do it: Putting up decorations outside can become dangerous when the weather is not cooperating. Try to choose a day that is conducive to putting up decorations.
- Check for broken or damaged decorations: Before you start plugging things into the outlet, you need to check and make sure it is free of hazards.
- Watch for fire hazards: Make sure that you keep decorations away from potential ignition points when unpacking them. Avoid placing them near candles, fireplaces, space heaters, and electrical outlets.
- Keep an eye on the kids and pets: You never know what the kids or your pet might do while you are busy untangling the Christmas lights. Keep an eye on them to make sure they are safe at all times.
Are you putting up Christmas decorations this season? What safety precautions do you take to ensure you are safe?