Opening your pool on the long weekend? Pool Safety Tips
We are getting to the point in the year where homeowners are starting to think about opening their pool for the season. Opening the pool in the May long weekend is a tradition for many families. They get together, open the pool, and have a BBQ to cap off the day.
But, once the pool is open, you need to think safety, especially if you have a number of younger children in your family. It only takes a second for something to go wrong, and you need to educate your entire family about the safety rules around the pool area.
Pool safety can be broken down into 3 important categories:
- Never leave a child unattended near the pool, even if it is only for a second.
- Make sure your children are educated in proper pool safety and know the rules of the pool.
- Teach your children to swim and consider signing them up for lessons.
- If you are going to own a pool then it is a good idea to have properly first aid and CPR training. This could be the difference between life and death.
- Have a first aid kit and other safety devices by the pool at all times. Know how to use them.
The Right Equipment
- Make sure your pool area is properly fenced in and is secured with a lock.
- Have lifesaving equipment such as a life ring and reaching pole.
- Have a well maintained pool cover and cleaning equipment.
Do you own a pool? What safety rules to you think is most important?