HUB Insurance Hunter | Steps To Take Before Making Home Renovations
Renovating your home is a great way to customize the space in your home and it’s a great alternative to buying a new home to accommodate your growing needs. But, before you get started, you need to get everything organized before you start tearing down walls and making changes to your home.
Before you start renovating, there are a number of steps that you need to take. They include:
- Select the project and take the time to plan it out.
- Make sure you have a proper budget in place and have the resources to get the job done
- Deciding on DIY or using a contractor
- Contact your home insurance provider to get coverage while the renovation is taking place
- If you are using a contractor, you need to take the time to choose the right one for the job
- If you are taking a DIY approach, you need to make sure you fully understand what will be required to get the job done
- Have your home assessed by a professional to ensure the renovation will be safe
- Understand that when you tear down walls there may be unforeseeable issues that could cost you more money to repair – make sure you have the money to make these fixes
- Check with your municipality to see if you will be required to get permits for your renovation
- Establish a timeline to complete the project
These are just a few of the many considerations that will be at play before you start your renovation. For more information about home insurance coverage for your renovation, contact us at HUB Insurance Hunter.