HUB Insurance Hunter | "How-To" Guide on Sub-letting Your Apartment
When things change in your life, it often forces your hand and requires that you alter your plans. Change can be difficult, especially if it requires you to move, and things are even more complicated when your rental lease is not set to expire for a few months.
One way to get around this is to sublet your apartment. This is a great option and it is an effective solution if you do things the right way.
When subletting your apartment, it is important to follow these steps to ensure you meet all of your obligations:
- Solidify your decision to move
- Establish a moving date
- Read your current lease and understand your subletting rights
- Get your landlords permission before attempting to sublet your apartment
- See if you have friends or family that are interested before posting an ad online
- If you have no takers, create a comprehensive ad. Make sure to include pictures, and all the details about the sublet terms. Use websites like Craigslist, Kijiji, and Viewit.ca to post your ads.
- Interview interested parties and ask each to fill out an application form. Give them a tour of the apartment.
- Select the candidate that best fits the situation
- Have the person subletting sign a written agreement, even if it is a friend or family member
- Give a copy of the sublet agreement to your landlord and make sure they are aware of move in dates and any other important information relating to the apartment.
For more information about renting an apartment, sublets, and protecting yourself with renters insurance, visit the HUB Insurance Hunter blog.