How to prevent ice from being an issue at home this winter
With the winter weather comes the ice, and ice can be a serious issue on your property if you do not manage it properly. If you are not proactive and fail to remove ice as it forms you are exposing yourself to many potential issues such as:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Ice damming
- Frozen pipes
- Damage to your home
- Falling ice
Each one of these potential issues could cause injuries, damage to your home and property, and could even result in a lawsuit.
How to Prevent Ice from Becoming an Issue
Ice is dangerous no matter where it appears. If you want to prevent ice from being an issue on your property this winter, you need to take action. Here is what you can do:
- Check for air leaks and make sure your attic is properly ventilated to prevent ice damming.
- Look for holes and air leaks in your siding, shut off the water to outside taps, and make sure that pipes in your home are not exposed to the outside weather.
- Break up ice as it forms. Don’t let it become an issue.
- Knock down the ice that develops on eaves, railings, and overhangs to prevent it from falling expectantly.
- Salt and sand regularly during the winter, especially in high traffic areas.
- Pay attention to where ice forms regularly on your property and focus on ice prevention in these areas.
How do you prevent ice from becoming an issue on your property?