How to Keep Gifts Safe from Thieves in Your Car this Christmas
The holidays are prime season for thieves. They are on the prowl during Christmas because they try to take advantage of all the people that are out shopping. With more cars in the parking lot and with more people shopping it simply becomes a numbers game. Thieves know that as people go from store to store they often have newly purchased putting gifts in their vehicle. This gives them more incentive to break into your vehicle.
Even though every year police departments across North America warn consumers to take more care to protect their vehicle; there are still thousands of cases of vehicle break-ins. No one wants to have to make a call to their car insurance company reporting a break in or stolen vehicle.
If you want to keep your gifts safe you need to take measures to reduce the risk. Here are a number of things that you can do to protect your vehicle during the holiday season:
- Be aware of your surroundings: Many thieves hang out in parking lots watching people come out of stores with gifts to identify potential targets. Be conscious of this. And, if you see someone that looks suspicious make sure that you contact security or notify the police.
- Watch what you say: Many people may not even realize someone trying to overhear a conversation that they are engaged in someone or while on the phone. Watch out for thieves that are trying to eavesdrop and find out what kind of gifts you are going to purchase.
- Don’t leave anything in plain sight: While this may seem obvious, many people leave shopping bags, gifts, and even their wallet in plain sight in their vehicle. Doing this just invites thieves to attempt to break into your car.
- Put everything in the trunk: Putting all gifts and valuables in the truck will make your vehicle less of a target. If thieves don’t see anything in your car, they will be more likely to move on to another, more enticing vehicle.
- Take your gifts home: Rather than leaving your gifts in the car while you run errands take them home and you will have nothing to worry about.
- Park in high traffic areas: If possible, always park in locations that have a high volume of traffic. The more people that are around, the less likely thieves will attempt to break into your vehicle. Parking in an attended lot is ideal.
- Lock your car and turn on the alarm: Even if you are just running into the store for a minute, always lock your vehicle and turn on your car alarm.
- Don’t leave gifts in the car when you get home: Many people leave gifts in their car when they get home. However, even if your vehicle is in your driveway, you could still be the target of a break in. Always take your gifts in the house when you get home.
Thieves can be very crafty. This is why you need to be on high alert when you are shopping during the Christmas season. You can never be too careful and it is always best to error on caution, rather than being a victim of a theft.