Home Safety for People Traveling this Winter
There is no shortage of people that use the holiday season to travel. They use the time to visit family and friends, go on family vacations, and to get away from the cold winter weather and enjoy some rest and relaxation on a beach somewhere south.
But, when you leave for an extended period of time, you need to make sure that you home is properly secured and protected. The holiday season sees its fair share of break-ins and thieves are always on the lookout for homes with the owners away.
Before you leave for your trip this winter, make sure that you take some or all of these steps to secure your home:
- Alter the alarm company that you will be away – Double check that the alarm is armed before you leave
- Check all windows and doors to ensure they are locked and secured
- Have a friend, family member or trusted neighbor keep an eye on your home – Have them pick up your mail for you as well
- Leave some lights on as well as a radio and leave them on a timer if possible – Giving the appearance that someone is home can deter thieves
- Refrain from posting about your trip on social media – This is a new way for thieves to target your home
- Consider using a house sitter or, at the very least, have someone drop by and check things out for you every few day.
Travelling this winter? What steps do you take to ensure that your home is safe and secure?