Home Renovations and Home Insurance
It’s safe to say that we are officially in home renovation season. Homeowners across the country are starting to put their renovation plans into action. From new decks, driveways, kitchens, bathrooms, and finished basements, there is no shortage of projects to consider.
One thing that must be part of the planning phase is considering your home renovations impact on your home insurance. You need to take the time to find out what role your renovation will play on your home insurance rates before you start your project.
One of the biggest mistakes that homeowners often make is not getting the paperwork in order before starting a project. You need to get your home insurance and building permits in place to ensure you do things by the book and are covered by your insurance policy throughout the renovation process.
Here are some things that you need to know about home insurance and renovations:
- You may not be covered by your home insurance company for renovations.
- You need to contact your insurance company well before you start any modifications on your home.
- Depending on what you are renovating, you might see an increase in your insurance rates. You may also need to modify your policy as well.
- When hiring a contractor, you need to make sure they have proper insurance in place as well.
- If you have completed a renovation and did not let your insurer know, you need to call them ASAP to let them know about the changes.
Keep in mind that new renovations could impact the value of your home and the amount of coverage you need. So, always contact your insurance company before starting a renovation project.
Are you planning a renovation this summer? Have you contacted your insurer yet?