Dude Where’s my Car – What to do if your Car gets Towed
There is nothing worse than getting that feeling in the pit of your stomach as you approach your parking spot only to see that your car is no longer there. If you ever find yourself in this situation, there are two likely scenarios: Your car was stolen or it was towed.
Here is what you need to do:
- Take a deep breath: At this point you are probably freaking out a bit – this is natural. Take a deep breath and start thinking about solutions for the situation.
- Look for posted towing signs: Before you call the police and report a stolen vehicle, look for tow signs in the area. Were you parked illegally? Did you violate the parking laws in the area? Call the number on the sign to see if the tow company has your car.
- Call the city: Your local municipality also likely has a number to call to see if your car has been towed and can help you locate its whereabouts. You can also Google local towing companies and call them to see if they have your car.
- Call the police: If no tow companies have your vehicle, then call the police to report your missing vehicle. They will be able to help you with the next step in finding your car.
- Go to the impound lot ASAP: If a tow company has your vehicle, go there as soon as possible. Make sure you check their hours of operation so you don’t go when it is closed. Also, have proof of ownership and the money to pay the fees to get your car out of the lot.
Has your vehicle ever been towed? What steps did you have to take to get it back?