Driving tips for crossing the border into the United States
Being in close proximity to the United States, many Canadians frequently cross the border and visit our neighbour to the south. Whether you are taking a trip for business, to go shopping or to go on a vacation, there are certain driving tips to keep in mind that will make your trip across the border quicker and more pleasant:
- Have your passport ready: It is required by law to have a passport to enter into the United States by land. Make sure that each one of your passengers has their passport before you depart.
- Get the car ready: Take out any unnecessary items from your car before crossing the border. Make sure you do not have anything that could be scrutinized by border security.
- Check the wait times before you leave: Check the bridge wait times before you leave. Depending on where you are crossing into the USA, you may have multiple options available to you.
- Fill up: Get gas before crossing. You never know how long you may have to wait.
- Cross during off hours: Plan your trip around peak hours. Crossing during off hours will reduce your wait times, and save you gas and frustration.
- Know the law: Make sure you know the restrictions for crossing the border. Know what you are allowed to bring into the country and what you are allowed to bring back from your stay in the US.
- Be patient: Waiting at the border is normal. So, be patient. The last thing you want to do is draw unneeded attention to yourself.
- Be Ready to Address the Border Officer: Make sure you have all your documents in order before you get to the booth. Turn down the radio, put your cell phone away and take off your sunglasses. Make things as quick and easy as possible.