Driving in Flood Prone Areas
Flood season is upon us. Whether you live in a flood prone area or not you should know what to do in case a flood occurs. Getting caught on a flooded road is extremely dangerous and drivers need to know what to do if flooding part of the weather forecast in their area.
Tips for driving in flooded areas
Here are some potentially lifesaving tips for driving in flood prone areas:
- If flooding is in the forecast stay off the road if possible.
- Keep things in your car that can help you if your car gets stuck in a flood. Keep items such as a shovel, boots, and rain gear in your car at all times.
- Listen to your local weather station and only leave your home if you are told to evacuate.
- Know the flood prone areas that are near your home and avoid them at all costs.
- Know the evacuation routes if streams or drainage channels flood.
- Never drive onto a road that is flooded. You never know how deep the water could be and you could put yourself at risk.
- Keep the radio on at all times so you know which roads are affected by the flood water.
Flooded roads are not something that you should mess with at any time. Avoid flooded roads at all costs and follow the instructions of the authorities in your area.
Have you ever been caught in a flood? How do you get out of the situation? Was there any water damage caused to your car?