Do you Need to Replenish your Home Emergency Kit?
With the number of recent winter storms and resulting power outages, many Ontario residents were forced to dig into their home emergency kits. If you were one of them, it’s time to replenish your kit and get prepared in case another winter storm or power outage is on the way.
Here is what you can do:
- Collect everything from your emergency kit that was used during the power outage
- Take stock of what you used
- Replace missing items and upgrade old and worn out items
- Add new items that you could have used if you had them
- Test everything out before you store away your kit
If you didn’t use it, now is the perfect time to take stock and make sure your emergency kit is up to date. You never know when a storm can hit and you need to be ready for it.
Is it time to finally get an emergency kit?
For some, it was perhaps the first time that you actually used your kit during the power outage in December. For others, the power outage signalled that it’s time to actually get around to creating a home emergency kit. If you have never had an emergency kit before, here are some of the things that you should include in it:
- Bottled water
- Non-perishable foods and a can opener
- First aid kit
- Candles and matches
- Flashlights, radio, and batteries
- Back-up generator and fuel
- Games, books, and other things to keep your family occupied
- Anything else that you think would be useful in an emergency situation
Do you have a winter emergency kit? Did you use it during the power outage? What items are must haves in your emergency kit?