DIY vs. Contractors for Home Renovations
With home renovation season in full swing, homeowners across Canada are planning their projects. One of the first things that you need to decide once you have established what you want to accomplish with your renovation project is who is going to do the work. Do you plan on taking a Do It Yourself approach or are you going to hire a professional contractor to complete the job?
Let’s take a look at some of the things you need to think about before deciding which way to go:
- Is the renovation complex or fairly straightforward?
- Do you have the skill and knowledge to do the job?
- Are you prepared to sacrifice your free time this summer?
- What kind of budget are you working with?
- What is your timeframe for completing the project?
- Do you have all the materials and tools for the project?
- Do you have people to help you with the renovation?
- Do you have the required permits/insurance in place?
While you may save a few bucks by taking a DIY approach, you could also run into issues that are beyond your capabilities. This is why it’s important to weigh the pros and cons of each approach. Keep in mind that if you are not experienced, you could end up costing yourself more money when you factor in the costs of having a contractor come in after to fix things to get them up to code.
How do you approach home renovations? Do you take a DIY approach or do you leave it to the professionals?