Danger, Danger! Things to Watch Out For In Cold Weather
While the winter is known for cold weather, snow, and icy roads, there is no shortage of other potential dangers that people need to be conscious of as we trudge through winter. Here are some of the many potential dangers that you need to be on the lookout for this winter:
- Icy surface – Sidewalks, driveways, streets, and even your deck are all potential slip and fall zones. Salt or sand these areas regularly.
- Slippery roads – As drivers, we always need to be careful when the roads are icy. Slow down and try to avoid making sudden changes in direction.
- The cold– There is no shortage of people that get sick because of the cold weather. Make sure that you dress appropriately for all occasions, especially if you will be outdoors for an extended period of time.
- Snowplows - Even though they are meant to help, snowplows can be dangerous. Never assume the plow driver can see you. Stay out of their way and let them do their job.
- Heavy snow - Thousands of people each year injure themselves shoveling. Make sure you use proper form and avoid lifting too much heavy snow at once. If the snow it too heavy, hire someone else to shovel or consider investing in a snow plow.
Hopefully Wiarton Willy will give us some good news this Groundhog Day and the worst of the winter weather will be behind us!
What cold winter hazards are you always on the lookout for? What steps do you take to ensure your safety during the cold weather?