Boat and Water Safety for the Summer
With summer in full swing now is a good time to refresh your memorable about boat and water safety. The pool, the beach and the lake are some of the most popular places for people to spend time during the summer months and you need to take the correct steps to ensure that you and your family can enjoy your time in the water safely.
Boating Safety Tips
- Never operate a boat if you are under the influence of alcohol
- Avoid operating a boat if you have no experience – get your certification first
- Slow down and be conscious of your surroundings at all times
- Make sure you have the proper safety equipment on the boat
- Follow all local laws regarding boating and boat safety
- Make sure that your insurance is up to date before going out on the boat
- Always swim with a partner – avoiding swimming alone
- Wear a lifejacket if you are not a strong swimmer
- Supervise children at all times
- Avoid swimming in rough water
- Abide by all pool, beach, or lake rules in regards to swimming and using the water
- Know your limitations
- Avoid diving head first in water or pools that are not familiar
Boat and water safety is not something that you should take lightly. Review the rules with your family at the beginning of every swimming season.
What steps do you take to ensure your family is up to date with water safety? What rules do you have for swimming? What boating rules do you have?