Be safe this Christmas – How to keep your home safe
December is undoubtedly one of the busiest months of the year. With holiday parties, family get-togethers, Christmas and New Year’s, there is no shortage of people coming in and out of your home. With this increased traffic in your home, there is also a need to ensure that your home is safe. No homeowner wants to see someone get injured in their home, especially if the accident could have been prevented.
To make sure that your home is safe this Christmas, it is important that you do the following:
- Be very careful about where you place candles in your home. If possible, keep them out of high traffic areas where they could get knocked over.
- Keep an eye on the stove when cooking, especially when cooking multiple items at the same time.
- Have someone care for your home if you will be away on vacation.
- Do not post travel plans online.
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets when decorating your home.
- Be careful with the placement and use of space heaters.
- Keep your driveways and sidewalks shoveled and salted.
- If you are hosting a party, do not let anyone drink and drive – It’s not worth the risk
What steps do you take to ensure that your home is safe during the holiday season? What tips can you offer to other homeowners?