5 Tips for Conserving Water at home this summer
With summer now in full swing, it is a great time to discuss some very easy ways to conserve water around the house. While we all know we should not to leave the tap running when brushing our teeth or doing the dishes, there are also many steps that we can take to reduce water use outside in the yard and driveway.
Use these tips to conserve water this summer:
- Check for leaks: Check all your outdoor faucets, taps and hoses for leaks. Even the smallest leak can add up and waste a lot of water unnecessarily.
- Only use what you need: One of the best ways to conserve water is to be conscious about how much you use. Only use what you need.
- Only wash your car when it needs it: Make sure that you only wash your car when it needs it. And, don’t leave the hose running when you are washing.
- Get a rain barrel: Why use water from the hose when you can use rain water to water your plants. Rain barrels catch water when it rains and it is stored in a barrel until you are ready to use it. All you have to go is get your watering jug and fill it up from the barrel.
- Water in the evening: Wait to water your grass and plants in the evening when the sun has gone down. When the sun is out, a lot of the water you are using will evaporate and water will be less effective, forcing you to use more water to keep your lawn green.
What do you do to save water around the house during the summer?