10 Home safety tips for putting up holiday decorations
If you haven’t already, it is very likely that you will be putting up your Christmas decorations very soon. And, while most people’s thoughts are consumed with pulling out all the boxes and making space for all the decorations, you cannot lose sight of home safety.
Home safety is very important during the holiday season. Decorations are not only beautiful; they can also be a safety issue if you do not take the following safety tips into consideration:
- Use an artificial tree that is fire resistant: If you are using an artificial tree, make sure that the tree is fire resistant.
- Be careful with candles: Many people like to use candles as part of holiday decorations. Make sure that you place candles in areas where they will not be knocked over and use candle holders that cover the flame.
- Use a spotter if using a ladder: How many times have we seen videos online of people falling off ladders when putting up Christmas decorations? Don’t become the person to fall off and always use a spotter when using a ladder.
- Watch what you put on the fireplace mantle: Decorating your mantle is a tradition that has been around for years. However, make sure that you do not put anything on the mantle that could catch on fire from the heat of the fire.
- Check the lights before using: Always check your Christmas lights before you put them on your tree or before you hang them outside. If they short out, they could be a fire hazard.
- Secure your tree with a good stand: Avoid having your tree fall over and causing injury by using an effective and secure tree stand.
- Use the right extension cords: If you are hanging lights outside, make sure that you are using lights and extension cords that are weather resistant.
- Don’t overload plugs and outlets: With so many lights and decorations, it is easy to need extra outlets and plugs. However, make sure that you don’t overload the power bars and outlets in your home or they could short out or even cause a fire.
- Place your tree in a safe area: Place your tree away from all heat sources such as ﬁreplaces and heaters.
- Avoid low hanging decorations: Make sure that you keep any sharp or breakable decoration away from reach of children and pets.